Sunday, March 8, 2009

Sharing Truth

Why should we share the truth that we have? Sharing what is true brings truth to further light, liberating and edifying both the messenger and the receiver.

This past week I flew to Washington to present some research on Non-governmental Organizations in Ethiopia. On the flights there and back I realized I had the choice to sleep/read/stick to myself/listen to my ipod OR I could converse and befriend the stranger next to me. My ipod seemed the most appealing of these options, with zonking out being a close second. Reaching for my headphones the thought popped into my head that after this life, the Lord will not ask me how many itune artists I listened to, but he will ask me to account for the people I reach out to/fellowship/serve/share with, etc. The gal who had found her way into the empty seat next to me just before take-off was also the person I had hoped wouldn't ever come (I know I'm not the only one who hopes for a little space to breath when flying on a tiny plane...am I?). My attitude toward my new flying companion quickly changed as she went out of her way to introduce herself with a smile.

In the next hour and a half I discovered that Dana a puteen lover, proud of real maple syrup and Canadian candies, with words like "Sorey" (sorry), and "Aboat" (about)in her vocabulary. In Vancouver Dana told me there wasn't a state religion, and that she, along with most of those she knew in her hometown, were non-denominational Christians and/or "not very religious people." I asked if she thought this had anything to do with the history of her country and she paused to reflect before responding. As she was thinking I felt it appropriate to explain the religious heritage of the territories that became United States of America. I told her of the colonies of New England which wanted freedom to believe as they pleased, and the founding fathers who relied heavily upon God to fight for their Nation-to-be. "In God we trust" is on our money and at the Presidential Inaguration there is still the tradition of a lengthy prayer to acknowledge the guidance of divinity.

In comparing the history of our countries she concluded that the history of Canada was more secular than that of the United States but that there were some instances of God-fearing leaders in her heritage too. I asked her about her own beliefs and she returned the question "what do you believe?" to me. I told her about the center of my belief: the Savior & Redeemer Jesus Christ. I told her about the young boy who believed in Jesus Christ and wanted to follow him, but didn't know which church to go to. I told her this young boy named Joseph Smith asked God as he was directed to in James 1:5 to know where he should worship ("If any of ye lack wisdom, let him ask of God..."), and that he was answered by God the Father and Jesus Christ the Son -two separate beings- who appeared to him in person. Dana was impressed by this and continued to listen attentively. I told Dana about the Book of Mormon that Joseph Smith was asked by God to translate, and the power of God which enabled him to do so, which is also evidence of his call to be a prophet (like Moses of old).

When I told Dana that today we had a living leader/prophet (President Thomas S. Monson) who is directed by Christ (the Head of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints), Dana asked how this prophet and his 12 apostles were chosen. "Not by vote, but by God" I shared. She was grateful and appreciative of this information....As the plane landed Dana asked if we could keep in touch. No longer strangers or foreigners (like Paul suggests), both of us were uplifted in sharing our beliefs with one another.

I am excited to continue sharing truths with and learning truths from Dana; sharing truth is perhaps one way in which "the truth will make you free (John 8:32)."

No comments:

Post a Comment